So what is this hidden job market?
Research has it that 7 out of 10 jobs are not advertised but arise and are filled through the hidden job market.
So how do you become visible in such an invisible world? Networks and Connections are the players in this game.
A lady connected with me on LinkedIn recently and told me she needed a job. I told her to send in her CV and I had a look. I did not have a job for her at the time but kept the CV. About a month afterwards, she sent me a reminder message which I acknowledged. Two weeks or more after that, I heard about a vacancy and immediately thought of her. I fished out her CV and forwarded on her behalf. She was called for an interview and got the job.
That seemed easy but I bet you it was not. She understood that to get a job, she could not rely on the existing job vacancies posted daily on job boards and newspapers. She had to access the hidden jobs. The point is, if you want to get called for job vacancies in the hidden job market, you have to do some or all of the following:
- Contact and connect with experts in the field you are interested in.
- Volunteer at organizations you are interested in working.
- Keep up with news and information in the relevant sector.
- Show that you are committed to your career by becoming a thought leader.
- Post relevant articles and information about your field online.
- Look out for the sector the government is investing in
- Make contributions to peoples posts and articles that shows your interests.
Follow these easy tips and enter in the world of the hidden job market!
Please do not clog my inbox with CVs just because of what I wrote above. Remember that you do not want to get lost in a world of several emails/CVs. 😉